Internet of Things
This course gives an introduction to IoT as well as practical experience with the design and implementation of end-to-end IoT systems.
Practical examples and exercises will predominatly be from domains Energy and Environment.
The course will be composed of six parts:
Architecture of IoT systems
Sensing and actuation
Operating system and abstraction levels in networked embedded systems
Energy aspects - consumption and optimization
Formal prerequisitesBefore the course, the students should be able to:
program in C and Python
understand basic concepts of operating systems and distributed systems
understand basic concepts of scientific method and measurement
Intended learning outcomes
After the course, the student should be able to:
- describe the architecture of IoT systems
- design, implement and evaluate networked embedded systems
- evaluate and compare a range of IoT networking technologies
- analyse the energy consumption of networked embedded systems
- analyse security issues associated with IoT systems
- design, implement and evaluate an IoT system
- reason about the societal impact of IoT systems
- 2 hours a week of theory/lectures
- 2 hours a week of exercises/assignment
The weekly lectures and exercises will allow students to gain the understanding of the concepts and techniques needed to complete the assignments.
Two project assignments will be offered as opportunity to explore hands-on, learning by doing and receive feedback on a suggested solution.
Content of the assignments: Design, implementation and evaluation of end-to-end IoT solutions.
The course literature is published in the course page in LearnIT.
Student Activity BudgetEstimated distribution of learning activities for the typical student
- Preparation for lectures and exercises: 10%
- Lectures: 20%
- Assignments: 50%
- Exam with preparation: 20%
Ordinary examExam type:
D: Submission of written work with following oral, Internal (7-point scale)
D11: Submission with following oral exam based on the submission.
Time and dateOrdinary Exam - submission Tue, 25 May 2021, 08:00 - 14:00
Ordinary Exam Tue, 15 Jun 2021, 09:00 - 20:55
Ordinary Exam Wed, 16 Jun 2021, 09:00 - 20:55
Ordinary Exam Thu, 17 Jun 2021, 09:00 - 20:55
Reexam - submission Wed, 14 Jul 2021, 08:00 - 14:00
Reexam Wed, 25 Aug 2021, 09:00 - 20:55