Internet of Things
This course gives an introduction to IoT as well as practical experience with the design and implementation of end-to-end IoT systems.
The course will be composed of five parts:
- Architecture of IoT systems
- Sensing and actuation
- Operating system and abstraction levels in networked embedded programs
- Wireless networking
- Energy consumption of networked embedded programs
Formal prerequisitesBefore the course, the students should be able to:
- program in C and Python
- understand basic concepts of operating systems and distributed systems
Intended learning outcomes
After the course, the student should be able to:
- describe the architecture of IoT systems
- design, implement and evaluate networked embedded programs
- evaluate and compare a range of low-range networking technologies
- analyse the energy consumption of networked embedded programs
- analyse security issues associated with networked embedded programs
- design, implement and evaluate an IoT system
- reason about the societal impact of IoT systems
- 2 hours a week of theory/lectures
- 2 hours a week of exercises
Mandatory activities2 mandatory assignments.
content: Design, implementation and evaluation of end-to-end IoT solutions.
The student will receive the grade NA (not approved) at the ordinary exam, if the mandatory activities are not approved and the student will use an exam attempt.
The course literature is published in the course page in LearnIT.
Student Activity BudgetEstimated distribution of learning activities for the typical student
- Preparation for lectures and exercises: 10%
- Lectures: 20%
- Assignments: 50%
- Exam with preparation: 20%
Ordinary examExam type:
C: Submission of written work, Internal (7-point scale)
C11: Submission of written work
The exam is based on questions related to
- the material covered in the lectures, and
- the two mandatory assignments.
Time and dateOrdinary Exam - submission Tue, 26 May 2020, 08:00 - 14:00
Reexam - submission Wed, 8 Jul 2020, 08:00 - 14:00