Organisational Change (Summer University)
AbstractThis course examines organizational change in both theory and practice. It explores how organizational theories can help us better understand, and critically reflect upon, challenges related to organizational change, while also offering hands-on approaches and strategies to managing them. Furthermore, it investigates questions of structure, identity, culture, leadership, management, and organizing in order to make students both knowledgeable about, and skilled in the practice of, engaging with and reflecting on organizational change.
This course takes as its point of departure in organizational and managerial themes, and considers them in light of contemporary organizational and managerial challenges related to IT and digitalization. The course draws on literature from two primary sources: organizational theory and change management perspectives. Change management perspectives will focus on the development of relevant solutions and approaches to support organizational change, while organizational theory will shift focus to enable students to critically reflect on and analyze these solutions, as well as the problems related to ‘change’ in organizations. Together, these perspectives will enable students to better understand, analyze, critically reflect on and develop solutions to support organizational changes related to digitalization, IT, and work.
course requires a high level of reading ability in the English language, and a
willingness to participate actively in class.
Intended learning outcomes
After the course, the student should be able to:
- Describe and account for at least two organizational theories and change management perspectives introduced in the course curriculum in relation to digitalization, IT, and organizational change
- Identify and make use of appropriate concepts from organizational theories in analyzing empirical problems related to IT and digitalization
- Select and make use of appropriate change management perspectives in developing relevant solutions to IT and digitalization related challenges
- Discuss the relevance and applicability of different organizational theories and change management perspectives to contemporary organizational change issues related to digitalization and IT
- Discuss and reflect upon your analytical choices and present their implications in a concise manner
Ordinary examExam type:
C: Submission of written work, External (7-point scale)
C1G: Submission of written work for groups