Introduction to Programming
AbstractStudents learn about the concept of computational thinking and get a hands-on introduction to programming using the Python programming language.
The course provides students with a basic understanding of computational thinking and programming both for their own future use and for their ability to collaborate with experienced programmers and software developers.
The students will learn about the concept of computational thinking and get a hands-on introduction to programming using the Python programming language.
Programming and computational thinking are basic primitives in today’s IT world. This course provides a basic and hands-on introduction into these topics. The programming language is going to be Python. After taking the course, students have a solid technical foundation with regard to programming.
Contents of the course:
- Sequential execution, expression, selection, iteration, state, variable, assignment
- String manipulation and text files
- Testing and debugging
- Searching, sorting
- Worst-case running time
- Objects, classes
The student is able to use a modern electronic computer for text processing, email, and web browsing. The student is able to download and install new software.
This course is a 1st semester course on the BSc Digital Design and Interactive Technologies.
Intended learning outcomes
After the course, the student should be able to:
- analyze a given, simple computational task such as manipulation of a text-based database or external hardware device to the extent of designing a programmatic solution and implementing it in a modern, text-base, domain-neutral programming language
- test the correctness of a piece of code
- write program documentation
- reason about the computational complexity of an algorithm
- express functionality in terms of abstract data type or application programming interface
- use text-based tools of program development, including an editor and command-line tools.
Ordinary examExam type:
A: Written exam on premises, External (7-point scale)
A22: Written exam on premises with restrictions.