Official course description, subject to change:
Preliminary info last published 15/11-19
Offered to guest students:
Offered as a single subject:
Price (single subject):
10625 DKK (incl. vat)
Bachelor of Science in Data Science
25 January 2021
28 May 2021
AbstractThe course introduces the students to probability theory and applied statistics. It will focus on understanding the theoretical foundations of statistics and on applying the theory using mathematical analysis and simulations in R.
The course intends to give the student tools to identify and solve statistical problems in practice, occurring in data-analysis.The subjects covered in the course include: probability spaces, random variables, conditional and joint probability, independence, expectation, variance, correlation and covariance, simulation of random variables, law of large numbers, central limit theorem, explorative data analysis, statistical models, bootstrapping, maximum likelihood estimation, confidence intervals, hypothesis testing.
Formal prerequisitesThe course is mandatory for second semester BSc in Data Science students and requires basics in programming and mathematics.
Intended learning outcomes
After the course, the student should be able to:
- Apply fundamental definitions and theorems from probability theory and statistics
- Perform basic computations on random variables and simulate random variables using R
- Perform basic statistical modelling and inference (estimation and hypothesis testing) using mathematical analysis and in R
- Analyse sampling distribution of estimators using both mathematical tools and simulation (bootstrapping) with R
- Present a statistical analysis in a clear way that allows the reader to understand the conclusions and the assumptions they are based on
- Do basic programming and data manipulation in R
- Identify statistical problems in a given data analysis
Ordinary examExam type:
A: Written exam on premises, internal (7-trinsskala)
A22: Written exam on premises with restrictions.