Mobile App Development, BSc
Fundamental introduction to Java development of apps for the Android platform.
This course gives a fundamental introduction to Java development of apps for the Android platform.
The following topics will be introduced:
- the four fundamental Android components (activities, services, content providers and broadcast receivers) and intents
- designing user interfaces using layouts and resources
- working with files and databases on a mobile device
- the Android life cycles and thread model
- using built-in camera, sensors and libraries/tasks e.g. calendar and contacts
- mobile/server communication including RESTful APIs and JSON
- Android libraries for creating location aware apps.
Furthermore, Androids threading model will be introduced and related to threading and concurrency in general.
Intended learning outcomes
After the course, the student should be able to:
- design and implement a non-trivial Android app
- design and implement Android user interfaces using activities, views and scrollable lists
- design and implement responsive, multi-threaded Android apps with asynchronous tasks and services
- design and implement a location aware app
- design and implement an app using the built-in sensors and camera
- design and implement an app that communicates with remote services
- design and implement an app that interfaces with databases both on the device and offline
- plan and execute the deployment of an Android app using Android studio
Ordinary examExam type: