AbstractThe main outcome of the course is that students are equipped with a basic understanding of sustainability perspectives on digital design. This includes critical analysis of sustainability issues in digital design, reflecting on the role of digital design in the transition towards ecologically sustainable futures, and the ability to engage in philosophical discussions around technological innovation and its relation to nature.
The subject of the course is important for students because sustainability issues are global, and digital design not only poses challenges, but also offers solutions for ecological sustainability. The course enables the students to act with ethical responsibility as designers. In the larger context, the course provides a perspective and an analytic lens, that is applicable in many of the subsequent and parallel courses in the programme.
Through this course the students will learn how to critically reflect on the role of IT and design in relation to society, ethics, nature, and environment. Literature within design history and science and technology studies will expand the field of sustainable design into philosophical and societal discussions on the role of IT and design.
This course will give a general introduction to new fields within design such as sustainable interaction design, sustainable HCI, sustainable ICT, and eco-feedback technologies. Through close readings of literature in these fields, the course will critically engage with emerging territories for IT and design. The course engage with terms like smart and sustainable cities, smart and renewable energy, smart mobility, circular economy, and the sharing economy. These terms are all infused with technological solutions, and they pose new opportunities for designers.
Intended learning outcomes
After the course, the student should be able to:
- identify relevant challenges sustainable it design
- account for how IT design is both posing challenges and solutions in relation to environmental sustainability
- Analyze cases of sustainable IT design
- Critically discuss sustainable IT design using the course literature
- Critically reflect upon and discuss the role of design in the transition towards ecologically sustainable futures
- Engage in philosophical discussions around technological innovation and its relation to nature
Ordinary examExam type: