Introduction to Service Design
AbstractThe course introduces the student to the basic principles, methods and tools of service design. The focus is specially design of services with digital components. Lectures, case studies and hands-on exercises will be used to learn to identify service design opportunities through understanding of stakeholder requirements and needs, and for using service design methods for co-design and evaluation of services with digital components.
The course educates professionals who can manage complex design processes of digital services in all phases of digital transformation of public and private sector, and in networks of actors. The student will learn service thinking, service design methods and tools, and to apply those in a service design project. The course covers subjects related to digitalization of services, including service dominant logic, service design methods and tools, service innovation, and specific design approaches that can be used in service design project.
Formal prerequisitesThe course builds upon knowledge from the courses of the 1st semester of the DIM and KDDIT program and students should have completed those courses or obtained similar knowledge elsewhere.
This course is required for all students enrolled in Service Design specialization.
Intended learning outcomes
After the course, the student should be able to:
- Account for and apply basic Service Design thinking, related theories, methods and tools.
- Recognize essential characteristics of services.
- Critically reflect on the role of digitalization in services.
- Identify and analyze elements of service ecosystems.
- Design, analyse and evaluate services using a suitable variety of service design methods and tools.
- Connect and reflect on design results with related analyses.
Teaching consists of lectures, individual and group exercises, and case based exercises.
The course literature is published in the course page in LearnIT.
Student Activity BudgetEstimated distribution of learning activities for the typical student
- Preparation for lectures and exercises: 15%
- Lectures: 15%
- Exercises: 15%
- Project work, supervision included: 25%
- Exam with preparation: 30%
Ordinary examExam type:
C: Submission of written work, External (7-point scale)
C1G: Submission of written work for groups
Time and dateOrdinary Exam - submission Fri, 21 May 2021, 08:00 - 14:00
Reexam - submission Wed, 14 Jul 2021, 08:00 - 14:00